At-Large Leirion Gaylor Baird
Leirion Gaylor Baird
- Elected - May, 2013 Term of Office - 2013-2017
- Re-elected - May, 2017 Term of Office - 2017-2021
Leirion Gaylor Baird was elected to the Lincoln City Council as an at-large representative in May 2013. Her priorities include public safety and improved emergency response times; repair and growth of Lincoln's street and sidewalk network; continued support of libraries, parks, pools, and trails; sustainable access to a clean and sufficient water supply; tech infrastructure development; increased efficiency and cost-savings in the City/County procurement process; and ensuring Lincoln remains a top-ranked city in which to work and raise a family.
Prior to her election, Leirion was a Lincoln/Lancaster County Planning Commissioner and a member of the LPlan Advisory Committee that produced the 2040 Comprehensive Plan - the strategic roadmap for Lincoln's growth and development over the next three decades. These experiences deepened her commitment to smart urban growth that promotes economic opportunity and enhances our health, safety, and quality of life.
Leirion began her career as a management consultant, helping Fortune 500 companies become more efficient. She has also worked as a city budget analyst and as a director of an innovative after-school and summer enrichment program designed to improve educational outcomes for children from low-income communities.
Leirion has a B.A. in History from Yale and a Master's degree in Comparative Social Policy from Oxford. She and her husband, Scott, have three children.
City Council Committees and Boards
- Joint Budget Committee (Chair)
- Downtown Lincoln Association
- Railroad Transportation Safety District
- Community Learning Center Leadership Council
- Water System Facilities Master Plan Stakeholder Committee
- Performance Audit Committee
- Metropolitan Planning Organization
Community Affiliations, past and present
- Lincoln/Lancaster County Planning Commission
- Lincoln Public Schools Superintendent's Community Advisory Council
- Lincoln Community Foundation's Grant-making Committee
- University of Nebraska Medical Center Chancellor's Board of Counselors
- Friendship Home's Keys of Hope campaign co-chair
- Family Service Board
- Friends of the Pioneers Park Nature Center Board
- Friends of the Lincoln Children's Museum Board
- Leadership Lincoln Executive Program