The City of Lincoln and Lancaster County Purchasing Division has adopted the following ethical
principles which shall govern the conduct of our Purchasing Division. We shall:
Adapted from the National Institute of Governmental Purchasers (NIGP)
- Seek or accept a position as head or employee only when fully in accord with the professional
principles applicable thereto and when confident of possessing the qualifications to serve under
those principles to the advantage of the employee organization.
- Believe in the dignity and worth of the service rendered by the organization and the societal
responsibilities assumed as a trusted public servant.
- Strive to uphold the highest ideals of honor and integrity in all public and personal
relationships in order to merit the respect and inspire the confidence of the organization and
the public being served.
- Believe that employees' interest for personal profit obtained though misuse of public
or personal relationships is dishonest and not tolerable.
- Identify and eliminates participation of any individual in operational situations where
a conflict of interest may be involved.
- Believe that employees of the Division should at no time or under any circumstances accept
directly or indirectly, gifts, gratuities, or other things of value from suppliers which might
influence or appear to influence purchasing decisions.
- Keep the governmental organization informed, through appropriate channels, on problems and
progress of applicable operations by emphasizing the importance of the facts.
- Resist encroachment on control of personnel in order to preserve integrity as a professional
organization. Handle all personnel matters on a merit basis. Politics, religion, ethnicity,
gender and age carry no weight in personnel administration in the agency being directed or served.
- Seek or dispense no personal favors. Handle each administrative problem objectively and
empathetically without discrimination.
- Subscribe to and support the professional aims and objectives of the National Institute of
Governmental Purchasing, Inc.