Welcome to the Air Quality Section
The Air Quality Program is part of the Environmental Public Health Division of the Health Department, located on the 2nd Floor of the Health Department at 3140 N Street in Lincoln.
The mission of the Air Quality Program is to protect human health and the environment upon which all life depends by maintaining good ambient air quality, and to prevent illnesses and diseases that are caused by poor air quality.
News & Featured Links
The Air Quality Program staff is knowledgeable in a wide variety of air quality regulations, pollution sources, pollutant impacts, and ways to reduce air pollution. If you have questions regarding any of these, or would like to locate more information on air pollution and air quality, please feel free to contact the Air Quality Program and the staff will try to assist you in any way they can. The following provides some basic information on the services we provide:
- Enforcement of local and federal air quality regulations.
- Inspection of regulated air pollution sources annually, to ensure compliance with local and federal requirements.
- Inspection of asbestos removal and remediation projects to ensure asbestos is removed safely and in a manner that protects the public health.
- Issuance of permits for the installation and operation of air pollution sources.
- Investigation of complaints of activities that negatively impact air quality, or cause an air pollution nuisance.
- Monitoring for fine particles and ground-level ozone to assess ambient air quality.
- Issuance of variances from noise regulations, as well as open burning permits.
- Assessments of the quality of indoor air in rental properties.
- Education to homeowners and businesses on ways to reduce indoor air pollution.
- Education and outreach on the causes and effects of air pollution, as well as technical assistance to people and businesses.
We DO NOT provide the following services:
- Mold testing or mold remediation services. There are several local businesses that provide these services. Check your local phone company’s business directory under the categories for ‘Mold & Mildew Services’ or ‘Mold Inspection & Remediation’.
- Asbestos testing or asbestos remediation services. There are several local businesses that provide these services. Check your local phone company’s business directory under the categories for ‘Asbestos Consulting & Testing’ or ‘Asbestos Removal & Abatement Service’.
- Radon remediation services. Our staff will help provide guidance and technical assistance to those who are considering the need to install a remediation system. The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (NE DHHS) maintains a list of licensed radon remediation businesses. Click here for a list of licensed radon remediation businesses.