The Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department’s Special Waste Program protects public health and the environment by assuring that industrial and business waste is properly managed. One main program goal is to prevent hazardous waste from being disposed of in the Lincoln Landfill. Each business that generates any of the 35 different special wastes must complete an inventory and be issued a permit to dispose of waste. This process helps identify reuse and recycling options for the businesses, which can greatly reduce their disposal costs. When illegal activity is suspected, Health staff conducts investigations and takes appropriate enforcement action. This includes assuring that all waste haulers are permitted and that they pay the waste hauler occupation tax on all regulated waste.
If you need any technical assistance or waste information, contact the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department at 402-441-8002.
Please visit our program pages for additional information.
- Lincoln’s Municipal Code
- Title 128 & 132 - Nebraska Hazardous Waste and Integrated Solid Waste Management Regulations
- Salvage, Recycling and Composting Permits
- Safety Data Sheets (Material Safety Data Sheets-MSDS Sheets)
- Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality
- Environmental Protection Agency Region 7
- Nebraska Recycling Council - Recycling resource