General Provisions Applicable to All Access Channels
- 1.1 The rules and regulations set forth herein are adopted to govern the
availability and use of the access channels of the cable television system
owned and operated by Time Warner Entertainment Advance/NewHouse d/b/a
"Time Warner Cable" in the community of Lincoln, Nebraska.
- 1.2 Definitions: The following definitions shall be applicable to all access
- Lottery shall mean a gambling scheme in which (1) participants pay or
agree to pay something of value for an opportunity to win, (2) winning
opportunities are represented by tickets differentiated by sequential
enumeration, and (3) winners are determined by a random drawing of the
- Prime time shall mean the hours between 6:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m.
- Public access producer shall mean any person authorized per these rules
to use public access equipment or facilities.
- Government/Education (G/E) producer shall mean any person authorized
per these rules to use government or educational access equipment or facilities.
- Franchise agreement shall mean the agreement made and entered into on
the 5th day of August, 1985, between the City of Lincoln and Time Warner Cable
which was approved by Ordinance No. 14153.
- Government/Education (G/E) Access Coordinator shall mean the person
responsible for coordinating production activities relating to the government
access channel and facility.
- Public Access Coordinator shall mean the person employed by Time Warner
Cable who is responsible for coordinating all activities relating to the public
- Imported program shall mean a program which is produced outside Lincoln
or by nonresidents.
- Educational Consortium shall mean a group of educational institutions
composed of University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Nebraska Wesleyan University,
Union College, Southeast Community College, the Lincoln Public Schools and
private elementary and secondary schools of Lincoln.
- Commercial shall mean as of, or pertaining to commerce; having financial
profit as a primary gain. "Commercial" shall not include activities or
organizations which are not-for-profit.
- Adult shall mean any person 19 years of age or older.
- 2.1 All producers and persons desiring to have material played over the access
channels must complete the proper application forms, present proof of a
Lincoln street address and proof of required permissions, such as copyrights, etc.
- 2.2 Shows in 30-minute and 60-minute formats are encouraged for public access.
Shows in multiples of 15-minute formats are encouraged for G/E access.
- 2.3 All shows must be in videotape format for cablecasting.
(a) Programs containing copyrighted materials will not be cablecast without
proper copyright authorization at the time of application. Producers
submitting programs for cablecast are responsible for obtaining all
necessary copyright clearance or talent releases and shall hold Time
Warner Cable and the City of Lincoln harmless in any case of any
(b) Producers who become involved in copyright disputes which ultimately
cause damages to either Time Warner Cable or the City of Lincoln shall
be denied the use of access facilities and equipment until voluntary
reimbursement for such damages is made.
- 3.2 Users of public access equipment or facilities retain ownership rights to
programs they produce. Users may register and establish a copyright at
- 3.3 Copyright for creative properties (original scripts or plays, music, art
work, etc.) shall accrue to the owner/creator of the property.
- 3.4 Users of access equipment and facilities may use in their programs a music
library located at Time Warner Cable should one be provided by the City.
However, if such music is used, the program may be used only on the local
access channel. Any other distribution, such as cassette duplication, use
on other cable systems, broadcast, etc., is strictly prohibited by the
license agreement with the music library company. Violations of this rule
may subject the violator to federal copyrightinfringement litigation.
- 4.1 No food, beverages, or smoking shall be allowed within the production areas.
- 4.2 All users shall be prohibited from using the access channels and facilities
if under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or otherwise not under full
control of his or her senses, or if exhibiting disruptive or abusive behavior.
- 4.3 Users are responsible for providing all props or materials for a given program
production. No flammable, caustic, toxic or explosive substances,
alcoholic beverages or firearms are allowed in the studio. All uses
of special effects must be approved in advance by the Public access
Coordinator. Live animals, weapons, and other potentially dangerous
items must be approved in advance by the Access Coordinators.
- 8.1 The City may elect to use radio broadcasts as audio background providers
for any of the access channels.
- 8.2 Audio background providers shall be limited to non-profit or educational
broadcast stations with 501(c)(3) status which are licensed by the FCC.
- 8.3 Audio background providers shall be required to deliver to Time Warner
Cable's principal head end a signal of good quality.
- 8.4 Audio background providers shall not be subject to the advertising and
solicitation restrictions of the Program Content sections of Chapter Two