- February 11, 2005
- For More Information Contact:
- Diane Gonzolas, Citizen Information Center, 441-7831
- Deb Weber, Lincoln Arts Council, 434-2787
Judges Named for Mayor's Arts Awards
Kooser Poem to Be Used for 2005 Award Nominations Due February 18
Mayor Coleen J. Seng today announced that judges have been selected for the 2005 Mayor’s Arts Awards. The 27th annual awards will be presented by the Lincoln Arts Council (LAC) the evening of Wednesday, June 1, 2005 at the Lied Center for Performing Arts.
The judges are:
- James Gustafson, local businessman, former president and interim director of the University Place Art Center and member of the First Plymouth Church Choir and Abendmusik Chorus.
- Deah Harriott, pianist, singer, composer and founding member of the Lincoln Community Gospel Choir. She received a Mayor’s Arts Award in 2001.
- Judy Hart, actress, director, educator and founder of The Angels Company. She received a Mayor’s Arts Award in 2004.
- Karen Janovy, Curator of Education for the Sheldon Memorial Art Gallery. She received a Mayor’s Arts Award in 1999.
- Elizabeth Nesi, a former ballerina and current Assistant Professor of Ballet at UNL.
- Jane Rohman, major contributor to area opera organizations, the Sheldon and the Meadowlark Music Festival. She and her husband, Carl “Ky,” were the first winners of the Halcyon Allsman Benefactor of the Arts Award in 2001.
- Bill Smith, a musician and retired businessman who serves on the board of the Meadowlark Music Festival. He received a Mayor’s Arts Award in 2004.
U.S. Poet Laureate Ted Kooser has selected one of his poems to be incorporated into the actual award. Kooser was a Mayor’s Arts Award recipient in 1989.
The Mayor’s Arts Awards program formally recognizes artistic contributions and achievements in the Lincoln area. Those wishing to nominate a project, organization or person may request a nomination form by calling the LAC at 434-2787 or print a form from the LAC web site: www.artscene.org. The nomination deadline is February 18, 2005.
Nominations are being accepted for the following awards:
- The Halcyon Allsman Benefactor of the Arts Award honors an individual or family who has made significant financial contributions to the arts in Lincoln.
- The Arts Organization Award recognizes an arts group which has made significant contributions to Lincoln’s arts community over a period of years.
- The Leadership Award recognizes an individual or organization for making a major overall impact on the arts in Lincoln.
- The Support of the Arts Award recognizes an organization or business for significant financial support for the arts.
- The Cultural Celebration Award recognizes artistic work that has fostered an appreciation of a specific culture or cultures through the arts.
- The Literary Heritage Award recognizes a writer or individual who promotes excellence in writing and literature in Nebraska.
- The Larry Enersen Award recognizes outstanding urban design in Lincoln.
- The Sam Davidson Award recognizes excellence in theatre arts.
- The Artistic Achievement Award recognizes professional accomplishments in any arts discipline.
- The Heart of the Arts Award recognizes outstanding volunteer efforts on behalf of the arts.
- The Event of the Year Award recognizes a performance, exhibition, event or project in 2003 that will be notable in the community memory for years to come.
- The Gladys Lux Education Award recognizes special initiatives or dedication to arts education.
The public is also encouraged to submit names of members of the Lincoln arts community who died during the past year for memorial recognition at the event.