- April 6, 2006
- For More Information Contact:
- Diane Gonzolas, Citizen Information Center, 441-7831
- Deb Weber, Lincoln Arts Council, 434-2787
MAYOR’S ARTS AWARDS WINNERS ANNOUNCED
Mayor Coleen J. Seng has announced the winners of the 28th annual Mayor’s Arts Awards to be presented the evening of Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at the Lied Center for Performing Arts. The event is sponsored by the Lincoln Arts Council (LAC), and this year’s presenting sponsor is Union Bank. The awards program formally recognizes artistic contributions and achievements in the Lincoln area. The LAC will begin accepting reservations April 24.
- TADA (The Arts Deserve Attention) Productions, a professional theatrical outreach company, will receive the Mayor’s Choice Award (sponsored by Cline, Williams, Wright, Johnson & Oldfather, L.L.P.).
- Crete Carrier Corporation will receive the Oliva Family “Arts for Kids”Award (sponsored by Jack and Dottie Oliva), which honors an individual or organization from outside of the arts professions whose leadership has enhanced arts activities and experiences for children.
- Steve Hanson, a performer and teacher of banjo, guitar and mandolin, will receive the Artistic Achievement Award for Performing Arts (sponsored by Farmers Mutual Insurance Company).
- Marcia Laging-Cummings, a bead artist and teacher, will receive the Artistic Achievement Award for Visual Arts (sponsored by Lincoln Benefit Life).
- Michael Kingery, a 2005 Lincoln Southeast graduate, computer design student and visual artist, will receive the Artistic Achievement Award for Youth (sponsored by Lincoln Vision Center), which recognizes a young person age 18 or younger.
- Max and Lillie Larsen will receive the Halcyon Allsman Benefactor of the Arts Award (sponsored by Wells Fargo) for their significant financial contributions to the arts in Lincoln.
- The century-old Lincoln Municipal Band will receive the Arts Organization Award (sponsored by Allied Insurance).
- Charles Bethea, Executive Director of the Lied Center for Performing Arts, will receive the Leadership Award (sponsored by Talent +).
- Proyecto Cultural/Sangre Azteca, a Hispanic dance group, will receive the Cultural Celebration Award (sponsored by Alltel).
- Dorothy Olson Young, a former Lincoln Public Schools teacher and English Consultant, will receive the Literary Heritage Award (sponsored by the Nebraska Literary Heritage Association).
- The Sunken Gardens Renovation Project will receive the Larry Enersen Urban Design Award (sponsored by The Clark Enersen Partners).
- Jo Stewart will receive the Heart of the Arts Award (sponsored by Runza Restaurants) for outstanding volunteer service.
- Diane Gabelhouse, an art teacher at Mickle Middle School, will receive the Gladys Lux Education Award (endowed by the Gladys Lux Foundation).
A panel of judges from the community selected the award winners in every category except Mayor’s Choice, Literary Heritage and Urban Design. This year’s awards are being created by Gail Kendall, a nationally recognized potter, UNL professor of art and art history and 2004 Mayor’s Arts Award recipient.
The Mayor’s Arts Awards ceremony also will include a tribute to those members of the Lincoln arts community who have died since the last awards ceremony in June 2005. Names may be submitted to LAC at 434-2787, or at 920 “O” Street, Lincoln, NE 68508.