City of Lincoln
2008 Media Releases
Mayor Chris Beutler invites the public to the dedication of Hamann Rose Garden at 4 p.m. Sunday, August 17 at Antelope Park, near 27th and “B” streets. The renovated garden is named in honor of Don Hamann, who made a large contribution to the fund-raising campaign for the garden. Public parking is available at the Lincoln Children’s Zoo, and the event will be held rain or shine.
Renovation of the garden began in the fall of 2006. The new garden includes both a formal display garden of cutting roses and a strolling garden displaying hardy landscape roses with perennials and ornamental grasses. The garden features more than 1,500 roses, updated furnishings and ornamental lighting, a new fountain, original sculptures and a new pavilion at the south entrance. Tours of the informal strolling garden, the formal display garden and the Sunken Gardens will follow the dedication ceremony.
The garden was originally named “Goebel’s Rose Garden” after Fred Goebel, the first Parks floriculturist and original designer of Sunken Gardens. In 1945, roses were planted and observed under different conditions to determine their ability to survive our climate. At that time, the garden was renamed “Municipal Rose Garden.” After a 1972 renovation and the addition of the Woods Park Rose Garden in the mid 1990s, the garden was renamed “Antelope Park Rose Garden.”
The Lincoln Parks Foundation in cooperation with the Lincoln Rose Society raised more than $350,000 for the project, which included funding from the Lincoln Cares voluntary donation program. Donations are still being accepted, and those wanting additional information can contact the Lincoln Parks Foundation at 441-8258.