City of Lincoln
2010 Media Releases
- April 5, 2010
- For More Information Contact:
- Kari Rohren, Cleaner Greener Lincoln, 402-301-3492
Community Invited To Get Involved In Earth Day Events
The Lincoln Earth Day Planning Committee has extended the deadline to register for Earth Day sponsorships, exhibits and activities. The City will celebrate the 40th anniversary of Earth Day with events from April 16 through 24. The deadline to apply or register for these opportunities is now Monday, April 12. Earth Day events are supported by Mayor Chris Beutler's Cleaner Greener Lincoln initiative.
Opportunities to be involved in Earth Day include the following:
- Five levels of sponsorship are available – $50 (Recycler), $100 (Reducer), $250 (Renewer), $500 (Sustainer) and $1,000 (Earth Champion). Recognition levels rise with the donation amount and include promotion on informational materials circulated throughout Lincoln, inclusion on announcements throughout the events and free exhibitor booths. (Sponsors registering after April 6 will not be listed on t-shirts.)
- Exhibition booths are available for the Day of Celebration from 2 to 6 p.m. April 24 at Antelope Park . Booths should have an educational or promotional objective that ties into Earth Day or the environment. Exhibitors may sell items with a valid sales tax permit. They also may host an activity at their booths as long as it stays within the 10-foot square allotted area. Booths cost $50 for a business and $25 for nonprofits. Booths are free for sponsors donating $250 or more and for student organizations.
- Any person, business or organization with an entertainment or activity idea is encouraged to apply for a Green Space Activity at no cost. Last year's entertainment and activities included demonstrations of rain barrels and solar power. The Earth Day Committee will determine which applications qualify for Green Space.
- Lincoln residents can participate in Green Posters, a collaboration of artwork depicting milestones throughout the first 40 years of Earth Day. Artwork can be in any medium and must be submitted to the Earth Day Committee in a 12-inch by 18-inch poster and a digital file (pdf, jpg or tiff).
More information is available at lincolnearthday.org. Those wishing to volunteer for the Day of Service, the Day of Celebration or other environmental activities also can register at that Web site. More information on the international Earth Day Network is available at earthday.net.