City of Lincoln
2012 Media Releases
- August 17, 2012
- For More Information Contact:
- Diane Gonzolas, Citizen Information Center, 402-441-7831
- Scott Opfer, Public Works and Utilities, 402-441-7711
- Ken Smith, City Parking Manager, 402-441-4617
Capital City Ready for Game-Day Traffic
Mayor Chris Beutler welcomes visitors to Lincoln for Husker football games and says Nebraska's Capital City is ready to accommodate fans and game-day traffic. The Huskers home season begins Sept. 1. Drivers and pedestrians will notice freshly paved downtown streets as well as the completion of the six-lane Antelope Valley Parkway from the Devaney Center to Capitol Parkway. Other projects are under way in the downtown and Haymarket areas:
- Construction continues in the West Haymarket area for the new Pinnacle Bank Arena and related redevelopment. Work is under way west of 7th Street, and construction zone signs are posted. Do not enter areas marked with either orange fence or chain link fence.
- Fencing will be in place on the south side of "R" Street from 8th to 9th streets because of the new hotel construction, and the street may be closed for the first two games.
- The renovation of Nebraska's Centennial Mall has closed the roadway (the equivalent of 15th Street) from "N" to "O" streets. That segment is expected to re-open in late September, and at that time, the roadway will close from "O" to "P" streets. In the construction zone, pedestrians are protected by fencing that creates walkways along the east and west perimeters of the Mall.
The Mayor encourages fans to check the City website at lincoln.ne.gov for the latest information on street construction and on City programs to help beat game-day traffic and parking challenges:
- Travel to and from games on StarTran's Big Red Express (startran.lincoln.ne.gov).
- Reserve pre-paid event parking at City garages (parkandgo.org).
- Purchase a $9 tag for all-day, on-street parking in metered stalls from any City parking employee wearing a Park & Go shirt at City-operated parking facilities.
The Mayor also encourages fans to enjoy Lincoln by arriving early and lingering downtown after games.
Those traveling downtown need to be aware that parking violations and towing are now more expensive. Meters are enforced Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and the following fine system is in effect:
- If the ticket is paid online within seven days from when it is written, the fine is $9.
- If the ticket is paid in person or through the mail within seven days, the fine is $10.
- If the ticket is paid after seven days, the fine is $25 (in person or by mail) or $24 (online).
The City also has implemented a $50 towing fine for vehicles towed by order of the Police or a Parking Control Officer. The fine is charged in addition to the $49.53 required to get a vehicle out of the impoundment lot. The towing fine does not apply to cars towed from a private lot.
On football game days, Interstate 80 exits at I-180/Downtown and 27th Street can be very congested, so visitors are encouraged to use other routes into Lincoln:
- From the east, take the Hwy. 6/Cornhusker Hwy. exit (409). Turn south at State Fair Park Drive and west on Salt Creek Roadway to reach Memorial Stadium, the Champion's Club and parking facilities east of the stadium and in the Haymarket.
- From the west, exit I-80 at Homestead Expressway/Hwy. 77 South, then go east on Rosa Parks Way.
- Those using I-80 who plan to park in the Haymarket Park lots will experience less congestion if they enter Lincoln using the airport exit (399).
Work continues on the North 14th Street project. Fans wishing to enter Lincoln from the north using 14th Street will be detoured to North 27th Street. All other highways will be open, and Interstate I-80 will have at least two lanes open in each direction.
Other traffic reminders:
- After games, 10th Street is one-way northbound from Military Avenue to Sun Valley Boulevard.
- Stadium Drive west of the stadium will be closed to all vehicular traffic. Passenger drop-off and pick-up will not be allowed in front of the stadium before or after the game. Fans can be dropped off and picked up at 10th and Charleston streets and 12th and "R" streets.
- Only StarTran buses and those using UNL lots 12, 22 and 23 or handicapped parking will be allowed west of 16th Street on Vine.
- Charter buses will park on "W" Street between 14th and 16th streets.
- The taxi stand is at 14th and Vine streets.
- Downtown bike lanes are on 14th Street from "L" to "R" streets and on 11th Street from "Q" to "K" streets.
Other general reminders:
- Alcohol is prohibited on City streets, parking lots, garages and sidewalks including the trail between Haymarket Park and 8th Street.
- The sale of tickets, souvenirs or other items is not allowed on City streets or sidewalks. Officers will issue citations for violations that inhibit the use of the street or sidewalk.
- Lock your vehicle and put valuable items out of sight to prevent theft.
- Backpacks and umbrellas are not allowed in Memorial Stadium.
BIG RED EXPRESS
In addition to its regular routes, StarTran will provide its Big Red Express service on Husker game days starting two hours before kickoff from six locations:
- NEW LOCATION - N.W. 12th and West Bond (Airport exit 399). Turn right just north of McDonald's Restaurant
- Gateway Mall, 61st and "O." Buses load north of Penney's
- North Star High School, 5801 N. 33rd St. (six blocks east of N. 27th Street and Folkways Blvd.)
- Holmes Lake, 70th and Normal, north end of the lake
- Southeast Community College, 8800 "O" St., parking lot on south side
- SouthPointe Pavilions, 27th and Pine Lake Road, south side of Von Maur
Due to east stadium construction at UNL, buses will drop-off and depart from a new location on "R" Street between 12th to 14th streets. The cost is $4 each way for adults and $1 each way for children age 12 and under, and passengers will need exact change. Electronic signs will help direct fans to the Big Red Express locations. Big Red Express season tickets, good for round-trip travel for all home games, are available for $40 at StarTran, 710 "J" Street; the SouthPointe Pavilions office; or at the lots on game day. For more information, call 402-476-1234 or visit startran.lincoln.ne.gov.
The City recommends reserving reduced-price, pre-paid, event parking through parkandgo.org. Football parking locations and fees are:
- City-County, 10th and "K" streets - $10 on site and $6 online
- South City-County, 701 S. 10th St. and West City-County, 802 "J" St. - $5 on site and online
- Carriage Park, 1120 "L" St. and Cornhusker Square, 1220 "L" St., and Center Park, 1100 "N" St. - $17 on site, $13 online
- Haymarket, 9th and "Q" streets; Iron Horse (on site only), 7th and "Q" streets; Market Place, 10th and "Q" streets; Que Place, 1111 "Q" St.; Lumberworks (on site only), 711 "O" St.; Lincoln Station South, 7th and "P" streets; University Square, 101 N. 14th St.; Larson Building, 1317 "Q" streets - $20 on site, $16 online
- Sun Valley and Charleston St. (near Oak Lake Park) vehicle parking - $5 on site and online
Grills are not allowed in City garages. RV parking is available at Sun Valley and Charleston for $10, and at the North Bottoms lot, 14th and New Hampshire, for $20. Grills are allowed at these locations. RV parking may be purchased online. Fans planning to stay Friday night on City property must purchase their parking online and display the permit in their RV overnight. Unlike last year, RV parking will not be allowed at the Haymarket Park baseball/softball complex.
A number of private lots are available. Rates vary, and some offer season passes. Vehicles blocking drives, parked too close to the intersection, parked on public right of way or interfering with vehicle and pedestrian traffic will be towed.
UNL parking lots will be available for use six hours prior to kick off. Game-day parking information and maps are available at http://parking.unl.edu/ (keyword: football). Parking also is available at the following University areas for $15:
- 17th and "R" garage
- 19th and Vine Street garage
- 1150 N. 14th St.
- 15th and Vine streets
- 1410 "Q" St.
- Harper Schramm Smith Food Service, 14th and "Y" streets
- 16th and "X" streets
- 1700 "Y" St.
- Anderson Hall, 16th St. between "P" and "Q" streets
- 18th and "R" streets
- Beadle Center, 19th St. north of "S" St.
- 1820 "R" St.
- 900 North 22nd St.
- Business Services Complex, 17th St. north of "Y" St.
- 22nd and Vine streets
- 23rd and "W" streets
- 14th and Court streets
- 16th and Court streets
- North Antelope Valley Roadway and Military Avenue
Wheelchair accessible parking is available at UNL Lot 5, Stadium Drive and Holdrege, for $15 per vehicle. Handicapped parking is available at:
- Mabel Lee Hall (vans only) - $15
- 14th and R streets - $15
- 14th and Avery garage - $15, with free cart shuttle
- 14th and "U" streets, east of Morrill Hall - $15
- 14th St. between Vine and "W" streets, free on-street parking where available
- 17th and "R" garage - $15 with bus service