City of Lincoln
2013 Media Releases
- June 26, 2013
- For More Information Contact:
- Brendan Evans, Party in the Parks Coordinator, 402-730-2016
First "Party in the Parks" Festival is Saturday
The "Party in the Parks" series of public arts festivals begins Saturday, June 29 with events planned from 4 to 9 p.m. at Union Plaza. No admission fee will be charged, and several food trucks will be selling refreshments. Activities include the following:
- The Rubber Ducky races are scheduled from 5 to 6 p.m., with heats at 5 and 5:20 and the finals at 5:40 p.m. Before the races, children can decorate their ducks at the Art Van deLux from the Lux Center for the Arts.
- Paint Yourself Silly, Community Crops and the City's Recycling Program will help kids paint pots and create plantable pots.
- Entertainment in the Dickinson Dinsmore Graf Amphitheater will include the Youth Actors Academy of Lincoln presenting excerpts from the local musical "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Death Star" from 6 to 7 p.m. Two local bands also are scheduled - Low Horse at 7 p.m. and The Renfields at 8 p.m.
"Party in the Parks" is supported in part by an award from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) as part of its "Art Works" initiative. The Lincoln Parks and Recreation Department collaborated with community arts organizations and civic leaders to receive an NEA "Our Town" grant to begin a summer entertainment series in new civic event spaces, such as Union Plaza. Future festivals are being planned for July 27, August 17 and September 28.
More information is available at PartyintheParks.com or by calling 402-730-2016.