City of Lincoln
2014 Media Releases
- January 8, 2014
- For More Information Contact:
- Deb Weber, Lincoln Arts Council, 402-434-2787
Nomination Deadline Extended for Mayor's Arts Awards
The deadline has been extended for nominations for the 36th annual Mayor's Arts Awards. The awards will be presented by the Lincoln Arts Council (LAC) Wednesday, May 28, 2014 at the Lied Center. The nomination deadline is now Monday, Jan. 20, 2014. The Mayor's Arts Awards program formally recognizes artistic contributions and achievements in the Lincoln area. Nomination forms are available by calling the LAC at 402-434-2787 or printing a form from the LAC website, www.artscene.org. A list of previous winners also is available at that website.
A new award has been created this year. The Legacy of Art Award will recognize a senior (age 55 and up) actively involved in creating, teaching, sharing or inspiring artistic expression in any discipline. Legacy Retirement Communities will sponsor this award for three years. A panel of arts professionals will select the winner for that award and these:
- The Richard Hay Arts Organization Award recognizes an arts group that has made significant contributions to Lincoln's arts community over a period of years. ( Dr. Richard Hay bequest)
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Visual Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the visual arts, including theatre and film. (Sponsored by Speedway Properties)
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Youth recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any arts discipline by a young person age 18 or younger. (Sponsored by Lincoln Industries)
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Performing Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in any of the performing arts, including film. (Sponsored by Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital)
- The Artistic Achievement Award - Literary Arts recognizes excellence and accomplishment in writing and literature.
- The Gladys Lux Education Award recognizes special initiatives in or dedication to arts education and is endowed by the Gladys Lux Foundation.
- The Heart of the Arts Award recognizes an individual or organization for outstanding volunteer dedication to the arts or for making a major overall impact on the arts in Lincoln. (Sponsored by Talent Plus, Inc.)
- The Outstanding Event Award recognizes a performance, exhibition or project in the previous year (2013) that will be notable in the community memory for years to come because of its content or cultural significance. (Sponsored by Joe and Judye Ruffo)
- The Halcyon Allsman Benefactor of the Arts Award honors an individual, family, organization or business making significant financial contributions to the arts. (Sponsored by RUNZA® Restaurants)
- The Lincoln Community Foundation Arts for Kids Award honors an individual from outside of the arts professions whose leadership has enhanced arts activities and experiences for children. (Sponsored by the Lincoln Community Foundation)
- The ArtScene Backstage Award recognized extraordinary service to the arts through behind-the-scenes efforts. (Sponsored by A to Z Printing)
- The Mayor's Choice Award is sponsored by Cline, Williams, Wright, Johnson and Oldfather LLP.
Nominations from 2013 are automatically resubmitted, and updates are accepted. The public is encouraged to submit names of members of the arts community who have died since the last awards ceremony in June 2013 for memorial recognition. Those interested in sponsorship opportunities can contact the LAC at 402-434-2787.