Each year about a million “treks” happen on Lincoln’s trails. With over 131 miles of hard surface and crushed rock trails, you can get just about anywhere you want to go using both on and off street routes. There are also several miles of hiker/biker trails within our parks making our system top notch. Whether you ride, run, jump or skip, using Lincoln’s trails are the perfect way to stay fit and save gas!
We are always making improvements to our trails system. Check back often for updates on our current and future projects.
Current projects include:
- Stonebridge Trail: This trail will provide a connection with the Stonebridge development north of I-80 between Humphrey and Alvo Rd. and east of 14th. When complete, the trail will provide a connection from 14th and Humphrey and the Alvo Rd. Trail west of 14th Streets. It will also connect Schoo Middle School in Fallbrook with Koozer Elementary near Stonebridge. It is expected this trail will be under construction the summer of 2015.
- Jamaica North Trail: This trail will be under construction this summer with a fall completion. The project will begin near 4th and Calvert and proceed north along the abandoned Union Pacific line to 4th and “A”. The project will involve construction of a 10 feet wide concrete trail. This trail connects with the Jamaica No. Trail that goes south through Wilderness and eventually connects with the Homestead Trail that goes to Beatrice and eventually Kansas. It connects with the completed section of Jamaica North Trail on the north between “A” and “J” Streets. A final connection will be made in the next couple of years with the Arena Trail and “N” Street Protected Bikeway.
- Cavett Connector Trail & Tierra/Williamsburg Trail: We are proceeding with final design of the Cavett Connector Trail that will connect the Tierra/Williamsburg trail where currently ends at San Mateo Dr. and will proceed south adjacent to Cavett Elementary School and through the neighborhood eventually connecting with the Yankee Hill Trail near 34th and Yankee Hill.
- Billy Wolff Trail: We have received funding to make improvements to the Billy Wolff Trail beginning with the ramp on the west side of 27th and then proceeding west to the bridge that was installed a couple of years ago connecting the Billy Wolff Trail with the Antelope Valley Trail. The current ramp and trail will be removed and replaced with a 10 feet wide, concrete wide trail.
- Wilderness Park Bike Bridge: The Wilderness Park Bike Bridge is in the final design phase with the project expected to be out to bid this spring and under construction this summer and fall with completion this December, 2014.
- Miscellaneous projects: Please be aware there are several projects taking place this summer that will impact several trails including a stormwater project on the Murdock Trail between 56th and Touzalin Streets, a stormwater Management Project along the Rock Island Trail between South Street and Calvert Street, replacement of concrete on the 70th Street Trail between Normal and Pioneers Blvd., 84th Street Trail near Mahoney Park, and other trails that will be impacted by the various street projects that will be taking place this summer.