Chief William W. Carder

Chief from 1888 - 1889

W.W. Carder was born in Harrison County, West Virginia. August 2, 1838. He later moved to Nebraska in 1857 where he worked as a freighter, and in the newspaper business. After moving to Lincoln around 1860 he married Nancy Schwartz on April 16, 1861 and they had four children; however, only two survived. Their children were Willie E. Carder (~1869) and Mary E. (Carder) Herrick (March 10, 1864 - January 1, 1945). He became chief in 1888 and even after he left the position of chief in 1889, he was still working for the department until at least 1893.

Obituary - Nebraska State Journal - August 1, 1902

W. W. Carder, one of the pioneers of Lincoln, died yesterday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. James H. Herrick in Ogden, Utah. The news of his demise was contained in a telegram from James B. Herrick to his brother, J.D. Herrick, of this city.

Mr. Carder had been spending the last years of his life at the home of his daughter in Ogden. He was born in Harrison County, West Virginia on August 2, 1838. In his youth he served an apprenticeship in a printing office at Lebanon, Ohio. He came to Nebraska in 1857 and for seven years engaged in freighting across the plains. In 1864, he went into the newspaper business, becoming foreman of the Nebraska City Press. Three years later he came to Lincoln and in company with C.H. Gere established the Commonwealth, afterward The State Journal. At that time, Lincoln was a city of tents largely. He next went into the railway mail service for four years after which he removed to a farm in Middle creek precinct. In 1885 he again became a resident of Lincoln and ran the Howard house at the corner of Thirteenth and O streets. Afterwards he ran the Carder European hotel at 934 P Street.

In politics, Mr. Carder was a republican and took considerable part in local campaigns. He represented Lancaster County in the legislature of 1879. Under Mayor Robert B. Graham he was chief of the Lincoln Police. He had charge of the exposition guards at the Omaha exposition in 1898 and it was just after its close that he went to Utah. Soon after moving to Utah he was stricken with paralysis, from which he never recovered. He grew better at times, but never was able to leave his bed.

Indefinite information has been received concerning the place of burial, but his relatives here believe the body will be brought to Lincoln for interment in the Wyuka Cemetery by the side of his children.

Carder was buried in Wyuka along with his wife, Nancy, and son, Willie.