Chief Curtis

Chief Allen Curtis

Chief from 1988 - 1993

Allen Curtis became Police Chief of the Lincoln Police Department on August 4th, 1988. He replaced Police Chief B. Dean Leitner. At his retirement party, Chief Leitner looked at Allen and said jokingly "the Lincoln Police Force is staffed by so many qualified individuals that a monkey could head the department." Chief Curtis was given a gift of a glass statue of a monkey wearing a police hat and sitting in a tree chattering at three subordinates to start out his tenure. The gift sat on his desk throughout his time as Chief.

As chief, Curtis was involved in the Nebraska Crime Victims Reparation Program, the Victims of Crime Act Program, and the Stop Violence against Women ACT program. One of the first things Chief Curtis said after he was appointed was that he intended to give the captains and sergeants in the department more responsibility in making decisions concerning law enforcement in Nebraska. He believed that if he gave them more control they would take more pride in what they do and become more highly motivated.

Curtis was the chief during the infamous Steven Jacob homicide case. In 2003, he was inducted into the Police Officers Association Hall of Fame; at that time he was the director of the Nebraska Crime Commission. Another notable occurrence during Chief Curtis' term as chief was the promotion of the first ever female lieutenant for the Lincoln Police Department, Joy Citta, who is now a captain and still works for LPD.

One of Chief Curtis' main prerogatives was to eradicate the dealing and using of drugs in the city of Lincoln. He used an aggressive approach to this task and also the task of minimizing gang-related crime. He encouraged a crackdown on street level users and dealers and did very well on this during the years of his service as chief. Notably, Chief Curtis was pictured shaking hands with former President Bush during Bush's stop in Lincoln, where LPD assisted in providing security.

He became director of the Nebraska Crime Commission in 1994 and served there for 11 years until he retired on Friday, January 28, 2005.