Lots of exiting new things happen during summer vacation. You and your family need to make safety plans before the summer begins.
Follow a Safe Route...
- Find the safest way to get to all the places you want to go. Here are some things to think about as you make your plans.
- Map your route so you cross busy streets at corners that have traffic signals or a pedestrian crosswalk.
- Choose a route with the fewest streets to cross.
- Plan to cross all streets at intersections; never in the middle of the block.
- USE the plans you make!
- Have your bike licensed. Wear a helmet to protect your head.
On a Bike Trail...
- Stay to the right of the path.
- You may ride in pairs, but when passing pedestrians or other bikers, go in single file.
- Be courteous. Warn pedestrians and others, before you pass them.
- Come to a full stop and search all directions before entering a street.
On City Streets...
- Driving your bike in the street makes you a vehicle.
- Obey traffic signs and signals.
- Drive single file as far to the right-hand side of the street as possible.
- Walk your bike when using pedestrian crosswalks.
- Ride one person to a bike.