56th from Old Cheney to Shadow Pines Dr.
Updated February 27, 2015
The City of Lincoln has selected E&A Consulting Group, Inc. to perform engineering services for design of the reconstruction of South 56th Street from Old Cheney Road to Shadow Pines Drive. The roadway is designed as a 4-lane paved section with turn lanes and a raised median.
- Right and left turn lanes will be built at London Road and Waltz Road, and these intersections will be designed to accommodate future traffic signals when warranted.
- Right and left turn lanes will also be built at Shadow Pines Drive.
- A new drainage structure will be built at Beal Slough.
- A pedestrian under-crossing will be built as part of the Beal Slough drainage structure.
- Ordinance changes were brought back before the City Council which were approved in the fall of 2005 and the construction of medians were approved.
Map of Project Area (56 K)
The project is currently being advertised for a February 26, 2015 bid opening. Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in late April, 2015 and be completed by summer 2016.
In order to prepare for the upcoming construction and to comply with the Federal Migratory Bird Act, it is necessary to complete tree removal along the project prior to April 1, 2015. The City has marked trees for removal and will work with New Heights Tree Services to remove the trees beginning late February 2015. During the tree removal process, the road will remain open to traffic but there may be short durations where traffic will be stopped to allow for the safe removal of certain trees. Stumps will be left in place for ease of removal by the roadway contractor.
Public Open House
A public open house will be scheduled after the project has been awarded to a Contractor. This meeting will give the public an opportunity to meet with construction personnel, review the project, and ask questions.
- Wednesday, June 6, 2012
- 5:00 to 6:30 p.m.
- Humann Elementary School, multi-purpose room
- 6720 Rockwood Lane
If you have questions or comments regarding the project or the tree removals, please contact one of the following people: