Waste Reduction and Recycling Assistance Program
A goal to reduce the per capita amount of waste disposed of in landfills by 30% by 2040 over 2011 was established by a 20-member Citizen Advisory Committee in the development of the Solid Waste Management Plan 2040. Businesses, including industries, institutions and multi-family apartment complexes, can help achieve this goal by enhancing or establishing recycling and composting programs.
The Waste Reduction and Recycling Assistance Program (WRRAP) provides:
- Assistance: Receive on-site visits to identify recycling options and help with program implementation and education of staff, customers or residents.
- Rebates: Obtain a rebate of up to 50% of start-up and first six months of collection service costs, not to exceed $750.
- Recognition: Gain recognition for recycling efforts.
Who is eligible?
Any Lancaster County business or non-profit organization that requests assistance in establishing a recycling or composting program and/or completes the application to receive the rebate through the WRRAP is eligible.
What type of assistance is available?
- An on-site visit to review your current waste management system and suggestions for enhancing an existing recycling or composting program or beginning a new recycling or composting program.
- We can help you brainstorm solutions to barriers or challenges.
- We are available to help with program implementation and education of your staff, customers or renters.
How can we use the rebate?
A rebate of up to $750 may be earned in two ways:
- 50% of the recycling and/or composting program start-up costs, not to exceed $250. Qualifying costs may include but are not limited to:
- Purchase of recycling containers
- Retrofitting janitorial carts
- Capital improvements such as pouring a concrete pad to place recycling containers
- Waste composition assessment by a 3rd party
- Development of educational materials
- 50% of your monthly recycling or composting collection service costs for the first six months of the program, not to exceed $500.
Will we be recognized for our recycling efforts?
Yes, a “Recycle Lincoln” recognition program has been established. There are four different levels of recycling recognition that organizations can earn. There are “Bronze,” “Silver,” “Gold,” and “Zero Waste” Levels.
- Recycle Lincoln Leadership Recognition Program
How do we apply?
- Review the Business Recycling Service Rebate for eligibility details.
- Identify recycling and/or composting services you are expanding or hope to begin new.
- Contact the Solid Waste Management Division at 402-441-8215 to confirm eligibility and finalize application.
- Business Recycling Service Rebate Program
NOTE: Nebraska law permits public access to public records, subject to requirements and restrictions provided in Neb. Rev. Stat. §84-712 to 84-712.09, as amended from time to time. This application and the information provided hereunder shall be accessible under valid public records requests under such laws.