Waste Reduction and Recycling Assistance Program
The City of Lincoln has established a Waste Reduction and Recycling Assistance Program (WRRAP) for commercial establishments starting new or expanded recycling programs. This includes government facilities; schools; non-profit organizations, multi-family housing complexes; institutions, industries and businesses. The City will reimburse an establishment up to $750 for start-up and monthly recycling collection costs for the first six months of service.
All document downloads in PDF format.
Business Recycling Service Rebate – Program Application
Lincoln and Lancaster County businesses and institutions can earn rebates up to $750 to establish and expand waste reduction efforts including reuse, recycling and composting programs.
“Business” is any profit or nonprofit entity or organization.
- Operating location within the Lancaster County.
- Hires an outside company for trash removal services (either building owner or property manager).
- Does not operate from a single family home.
Eligible Services & Rebate Details
- Recycling service must collect one or more of the following recyclable items: Glass bottles and jars; Corrugated cardboard; Office paper; Single stream recyclables (newspapers, mixed paper, cardboard, aluminum and tin cans, plastic containers #1-#7); organic waste (food or non-recyclable paper).
- Rebate may be received more than once. For example, a business may receive a rebate to establish a single stream recycling program and at a later date establish an organic waste composting program or a separate glass recycling program.
- Business must sign up for one year of ongoing, regularly scheduled recycling service through a licensed private hauler and must provide written proof of this requirement.
- Business recycling must be serviced at least once a month – one-time or on-call service is not eligible. Business must have not had such service for at least six months prior to the application for rebate.
- 50% of startup costs or $250, whichever is less.
- Start-up costs include purchase of containers; retrofit janitorial carts; capital improvements such as pouring a concrete pad to place recycling or compost containers; signs and posters for training and education; waste composition audit by a 3rd party.
- Rebate is available for 50% of the additional cost of recycling service (does not include the cost of trash service) for the first six months of service or $500, whichever is less.
- Deposits, delivery charges, taxes and other tangential charges or expenses such as paying employees for training time are not eligible for rebate.
- Limited funds are available for rebates; acceptance of rebate application is based on a first come first serviced basis and is dependent on availability of funds.
- Multiple sites for one business are eligible for separate rebates if sites are located at least one mile from each other.
- Multiple sites on one commercial or industrial campus are only eligible for one rebate.
- Trash collection service shall not be reimbursed.
- Violation of Lincoln City Code or unpaid taxes disqualifies the participant from the Waste Reduction and Recycling Assistance Program and may result in forfeit or repayment of rebate payments received.
- Applicant must certify in writing that all invoices it submits are authentic and/or true and correct statements of expenses incurred by the Applicant as part of this program.
- Completion of attached application
- Copy of bill showing trash service only (from prior to recycling service being provided)
- Copy of quote for recycling service in addition to trash service
- Complete Business Recycling Service Rebate Request Form (see next page for details)
- Provide copies of receipts showing six months of payment of same recycling service that was approved.
- Recycling service charges must be itemized on receipt.
- Copy of service agreement showing recycling service being agreed to for at least one year.
Return completed application to:
City of Lincoln Solid Waste Management Attn: Recycling Coordinator 5101 N. 48th Street Lincoln, NE 68504
Or scan all documents and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or fax all documents to 402‐441‐6685.
Allow 2 to 4 weeks for notice of approval or lack thereof.
NOTE: Nebraska law permits public access to public records, subject to requirements and restrictions provided in Neb. Rev. Stat. §84-712 to 84-712.09, as amended from time to time. This application and the information provided hereunder shall be accessible under valid public records requests under such laws.