Business Recycling Service Rebate Program
Lincoln and Lancaster County businesses and institutions can earn rebates up to $750 to establish and expand waste reduction efforts including reuse, recycling and composting programs.
1. Program Application
Applicant must meet eligibility requirements and submit a Rebate Program Application Form.
“Business” is any profit or nonprofit entity or organization.
- Operating location within the Lancaster County.
- Hires an outside company for trash removal services (either building owner or property manager).
- Does not operate from a single family home.
Eligible Services & Rebate Details
- Recycling service must collect one or more of the following recyclable items: Glass bottles and jars; Corrugated cardboard; Office paper; Single stream recyclables (newspapers, mixed paper, cardboard, aluminum and tin cans, plastic containers #1-#7); organic waste (food or non-recyclable paper).
- Rebate may be received more than once. For example, a business may receive a rebate to establish a single stream recycling program and at a later date establish an organic waste composting program or a separate glass recycling program.
- Business must sign up for one year of ongoing, regularly scheduled recycling service through a licensed private hauler and must provide written proof of this requirement.
- Business recycling must be serviced at least once a month – one-time or on-call service is not eligible. Business must have not had such service for at least six months prior to the application for rebate.
- 50% of startup costs or $250, whichever is less.
- Start-up costs include purchase of containers; retrofit janitorial carts; capital improvements such as pouring a concrete pad to place recycling or compost containers; signs and posters for training and education; waste composition audit by a 3rd party.
- Rebate is available for 50% of the additional cost of recycling service (does not include the cost of trash service) for the first six months of service or $500, whichever is less.
- Deposits, delivery charges, taxes and other tangential charges or expenses such as paying employees for training time are not eligible for rebate.
- Limited funds are available for rebates; acceptance of rebate application is based on a first come first serviced basis and is dependent on availability of funds.
- Multiple sites for one business are eligible for separate rebates if sites are located at least one mile from each other.
- Multiple sites on one commercial or industrial campus are only eligible for one rebate.
- Trash collection service shall not be reimbursed.
- Violation of Lincoln City Code or unpaid taxes disqualifies the participant from the Waste Reduction and Recycling Assistance Program and may result in forfeit or repayment of rebate payments received.
- Applicant must certify in writing that all invoices it submits are authentic and/or true and correct statements of expenses incurred by the Applicant as part of this program.
2. Rebate Request
The Business Recycling Service Rebate Request Form must be completed and submitted along with supporting documentation. Applicant must have submitted program application and received notification of approval of application prior to submitting this form.
Steps to Receive Rebate
- Completed Rebate Request Form with Attachment 1
- Receipts showing start-up costs
- Receipts showing six months of payment of same recycling service that was pre-approved.
- Recycling service charges must be itemized on bill.
- Recycling service must have started within the past six to eight months.
- Copy of service agreement showing recycling service being agreed to for at least one year.
Rebate recipients’ names may be publicized in conjunction with WRRAP promotions from the City of Lincoln. Total quantity and type of materials recycled will be reported in aggregate from all rebate recipients.
Return all completed applications to:
City of Lincoln Solid Waste Management Attn: Recycling Coordinator 5101 N. 48th Street Lincoln, NE 68504
Or scan all documents and email to email@example.com.
Or fax all documents to 402‐441‐6685.
Please allow 2 to 4 weeks for processing. The City of Lincoln will contact you once your application has been approved or denied.
NOTE: Nebraska law permits public access to public records, subject to requirements and restrictions provided in Neb. Rev. Stat. §84-712 to 84-712.09, as amended from time to time. This application and the information provided hereunder shall be accessible under valid public records requests under such laws.