Recycling starts at home!
Dr. R.E. Cycle reminds everyone that Recycling Starts at Home! Why Recycle?
- Landfill space is saved.
- It prevents pollution caused from mining and manufacturing.
- Emissions of greenhouse gases that contribute to climate change are reduced.
- It creates green jobs.
- Valuable products with a secondary market value are created.
Setting up a home recycling center is easy:
- 1. Choose a place to store recyclables.
- The kitchen offers great accessibility and convenience.
- The garage is out of sight and provides easy transport to the car.
- Consider a closet, pantry or patio.
- If you live in an apartment, you can hang reusable cloth bags over handles and door knobs.
- 2. Choose containers to hold and transport recyclables.
- Consider reusing items you already own such as cardboard boxes, laundry baskets and plastic tubs.
- Some retailers offer stackable containers made just for recycling.
- 3. Establish a family routine.
- Tell family members and guests about recycling procedures.
- Make sorting and transporting recyclables part of daily and weekly chores.
- Keep up to date with community recycling events.
- 4. Find a recycling drop-off site near you.