The key planning milestones included the following:
- A definition of the existing systems.
- An assessment of current and future needs.
- An evaluation of solid waste systems, facilities, and program alternatives.
- A refined definition of systems, facilities, and programs.
- A final solid waste management plan.
The planning process for Solid Waste Plan 2040 included numerous opportunities for public participation and involvement. Public outreach was an ongoing activity through various communication tools, at Advisory Committee meetings, and at key milestones in the process. In-person and on-line Public Open House Meetings were held at the following key milestones in the planning process:
- Needs Assessment (November 13, 2012)
- System Definition and Refinement (August 13, 2013)