From 2009 to 2014, local artists were challenged to creatively paint rain barrels to celebrate the importance of water quality. Artists were selected based on their applications addressing a yearly theme. Teachers were encouraged to use this activity as a teaching tool in their classroom. Each year, 25 artists were selected and had five weeks to paint and return their barrels. During the month of April, the barrels were put on display with interpretative signage, and later the barrels were sold, with proceeds supporting environmental education programs.
2011 Artistic Rain Barrel Program
April and May 2011
Lincoln businesses and libraries
Final week at the Lincoln Children's Zoo
May 19, 2011
Lincoln Children's Zoo
Lincoln Children's Zoo summer classes, exhibits and other environmental education programs
- Ponca Tribe and Circle of Youth "Ponca Tribe"
- Roudabak Mahjoob "The Beauties of H2O & the Planet!"
- Lenn Marshall "Out of the Blue"
- Eric Saxon "White Cubes"
- Rachael Wells "Prairie Trace"
- Kristy Topil "Summer Reflections"
- Jessica Prenosil "Community C.R.O.P.S."
- Liz Tylander, Kat Shiffler & Diane Amdor "Rain or Shine"
- Kimberly Morris "A White Picket Fence"
- Barbara Johnson "Singing in the Rain"
- Joel Ebert "Mosquito Fish"
- Theresa Rhodus "Breaking Through"
- Matt Tiarks and Nickie Napierala of E&A Consulting Group, Inc. "umBARRELla"
- Kari Sawyer & the Meadow Lane Kindergarteners "WOOF, WOOF...MEOW!"
- Kendra Suesz Suncatcher's Sonata"
- Claude Denn and Michelle Semmens "JUMBO"
- Katelyn Voigt "Conserve"
- Isabelle Paik "Nebraska Farms"
- Valdeen Nelsen & Paul Knopp "Tribute to Nebraska's Tallgrass Prairie"
- Allison Mattox "Feline and Feathers"
- Renee Langan A Memoir of Life's Flow"
- Eastmont Towers Community "A Walk Through The Years"
- Dane Stahr "Rain Makes Corn"
- Mollie Magnuson & the Goodrich at Dawes CLC "Splish Splash Painting" "Penguin Mountain"
- Margaret Milligan & Kelly Seacrest "Coyote Country"