84th and Havelock Improvement Project
Updated December 20, 2018
Work began Monday, November 5, 2018 on a roadway improvement project in the area of 84th and Havelock Avenue. The new design of the intersection will better accommodate increasing traffic volume due to residential growth and Lancaster Event Center programming.
Scope of Work
Construction on the west leg of 84th Street and Havelock Avenue includes mill and overlay of Havelock between 73rd and 84th streets and installation of new concrete, storm drainage and street lighting.
Work on Havelock east of 84th Street will include widening in front of the Lancaster Event Center, concrete paving, storm drainage installation and street lighting.
Intersection improvements at 84th and Havelock will include traffic signal reconstruction and storm drainage and water main installation. In addition to this work, northbound to eastbound and southbound to westbound right-turn lanes will be constructed along 84th Street. The southbound to eastbound left-turn lane on 84th Street will be lengthened as well. These modifications are being completed to increase safety and capacity along 84th Street.
Access During Construction
Construction on the east and west legs of the project will be completed under a full road closure of Havelock Avenue. All Havelock traffic between 73rd and 90th streets is being detoured to Cornhusker Highway (Hwy. 6) via 70th Street and 98th Street. 84th Street will remain open in both directions throughout the project. The traffic signal at the intersection of 84th and Havelock will be disabled Wednesday, December 19 through July 2019. A temporary signal has been installed at Lancaster Event Center’s main driveway entrance, “Gate 1” on 84th Street.
Lancaster Event Center Access
- LEC visitors may access and exit the facility in the following ways:
- Gate 1 on North 84th Street will remain open throughout construction and will use a temporary traffic signal.
- Gate 3 can be accessed by traveling west on Havelock Avenue. From the north, drivers would access this entrance via Cornhusker Highway and 98th Street. From the south, drivers would utilize Holdrege Street and North 112th Street. (Please note, the bridge near 98th and Adams is closed.) Havelock Avenue will be closed from North 84th to North 90th streets during the widening project.
- Reminders for entrance:
- The easiest access to LEC from the west will be Gate 1 on North 84th Street.
- To access LEC from the north or east, including from Interstate 80, visitors may use Gate 3 on Havelock Avenue. To access that gate, turn south from Hwy. 6 on North 98th Street, and turn west on Havelock Avenue. (LEC’s other northern gates will not be assessable. Gate 2 is closed due to Havelock construction, and Gate 4 is closed due to ongoing LEC construction at that entrance.)
- When possible, LEC visitors should be prepared to enter at a different gate than they typically use, especially during periods of high traffic volume.
- Reminders for exit:
- Event traffic exiting at Gate 3 will be directed east on Havelock Avenue and north on North 98th Street to Cornhusker Hwy. or I-80.
- LEC visitors should be prepared to exit from a different gate than they entered, especially during periods of high exit traffic volume.
- All visitors are urged to exercise caution around the work area, and follow the directions of Lincoln Police and/or LEC parking attendants for the quickest and safest exit from the facility.
- South detour
- North detour
- 84th & Havelock
- Lancaster Event
- 98th & Adams
Construction on Havelock Avenue from 73rd to 84th streets began November 5, 2018. The closure of Havelock Avenue east of 84th Street is scheduled to begin Wednesday, December 19, 2018. The project is scheduled to be completed in July 2019.
Gaylon Masek, Construction Project Manager
City of Lincoln, Engineering Services
Craig Aldridge, Project Engineer
City of Lincoln, Engineering Services
Mike McCullough, Project Manager