Lincoln and Lancaster County’s commercial sector generates about half of the garbage disposed in the City landfill. As a team, our goal is to increase recycling and reduce the garbage headed to the landfill. Lincoln’s businesses, schools, stores, restaurants, hotels, and other institutional buildings can use these guides to implement effective waste reduction and recycling programs.
Resources for Businesses & Institutions
Guides & Fact Sheets
Sector-specific guides to overcome barriers and set up a recycling program.
Waste Reduction and Recycling Assistance Program (WRRAP)
Your organization may be elibigle for up to $750 to establish and expand waste reduction efforts.
Leadership Recognition Program
Win a bronze, silver, gold, or “zero waste” medal for your business’s recycling efforts. See who is already a winner!
Waste Diversion Calculator
Use this handy calculator to assess your current diversion rate and associated costs. (Microsoft Excel is required.)
Are you interested in improving your organization’s recycling program, but don’t know where to start? Take this short waste assessment questionnaire to find out what to focus on and how to start out right.
On-Site Recycling Advisory Program
Your organization could receive a free professional consultation on setting up a recycling program. Apply today!
VIDEO: How to Set Up a Commercial Recycling Program
Assurity Life has a great model for recycling in an office setting. Follow their lead by implementing some of these sustainable practices in your business.
Corrugated Cardboard FAQ
The landfill no longer accepts clean and dry corrugated cardboard. Learn more about the ban and your options for recycling.
Garbage & Recycling Collectors & Processors
Getting your recyclables picked up could take just one phone call to your current garbage collector.
Multilingual Educational Resources
Everyone’s invited to join our team and become a recycling champion. Share these multilingual resources in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Arabic to help your fellow teammates take it to the bin.
Apartment Manager Toolkit
If you own or manage rental properties with five or more units, you'll find the suggestions in this kit very helpful.
Organic Waste Composting Opportunities
Resouces for organic waste composting for businesses and institutions.
Local Firm Listing for Construction Material Diversions
List of local companies that accept construction materials.
- Nebraska Recycling Council 402-436-2384
- Keep America Beautiful Recycling at Work program
- Recycling in the Workplace: Ready, set Go!
- Keep Nebraska Beautiful Material Exchange Program
- Good, usable materials no longer needed can be listed in the Materials Exchange Program. Sponsored by Keep Nebraska Beautiful. The cost is free.
- Bureau of International Recycling
- Resources for recycling and reusing ferrous metals, non-ferrous metals, paper, textiles, stainless steel, plastics and tires.
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- Web resources on reducing, reusing, composting and recycling. One resource that is particularly useful is a comprehensive guide to green purchasing.