Waste Reduction & Recycling Assistance Program
Recycle Lincoln Leadership Recognition Program
Businesses and organizations that are demonstrating leadership and working to achieve our waste reduction goal can receive recognition for their efforts.
How will we be recognized for our recycling efforts?
Following completion of a Recycling Leader application and on-site visit, your organization will be designated one of four “Recycle Lincoln” leadership levels.
recycles and/or composts 20 to 39% of waste generated*
- *What if our organization recycles or composts but does not track the amount?
If your organization recycles or composts but does not track the amount, this level can be achieved if the following criteria are met
- City staff will estimate the amount recycled or composted based on the size of waste and recycling containers and their collection frequency.
- Material disposal bans (i.e., tires, appliances, yard waste, used oil, corrugated cardboard etc.) must be followed.
- The Special Waste Inventory sent by Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department must be completed annually.
- Recycled materials in our program include cardboard, paper, plastics (i.e. bottles and containers), and metal cans.
recycles and/or composts 40 to 59% of waste generated
recycles and/or composts 60 to 89% of waste generated
- Zero Waste
recycles and/or composts at least 90% of waste generated
Businesses will be recognized in several ways:
- Annually in a local publication
- At the biennial Lincoln-Lancaster County Environmental Awards event
- On the City of Lincoln recycling website
- With window clings and certificates.
- Through City social media platforms.
Top reasons to participate:
- Join a network of community leaders.
- Gain a competitive edge and attract new customers.
- Improve your economic and environmental bottom line.
- Protect the environment and conserve resources.
- Strengthen your team and organizational culture.
- Get community recognition and promotion.
How do we apply?
- Submit an application form.
- A Solid Waste Management Division representative will conduct an on-site visit to verify your Recycle Lincoln Leadership recognition level. Once a year, you will receive an audit to confirm your recognition level going forward.