City of Lincoln
2013 Media Releases
- August 23, 2013
- For More Information Contact:
- Diane Gonzolas, Citizen Information Center, 402-441-7831
- Scott Opfer, Public Works and Utilities, 402-441-7711
- Wayne Mixdorf, City Parking Manager, 402-441-PARK (7225)
Capital City Ready for Game-Day Traffic
Mayor Chris Beutler welcomes visitors to Lincoln for Husker football games and says Nebraska's Capital City is ready to accommodate fans and game-day traffic. Drivers and pedestrians will notice new and continuing development in the West Haymarket area around Lincoln's new Pinnacle Bank Arena.
The Mayor invites fans to tour the Arena the day of the Husker home opener August 31. The Arena. will be open from 11 a.m. until the end of the Nebraska-Wyoming game, with the game displayed on the arena's four-sided, high-definition video board.
All streets and most sidewalks in the Haymarket will be open with two exceptions: "P" Street from Canopy to Arena Drive; and southbound 7th Street from "R" to "Q." Parking will be available in the Red1 Garage, 555 "R" St. ($20 on site, $16 online). Limited parking will be available for $20 in the VIP Parking Garage attached to the southwest side of Pinnacle Bank Arena and in the festival space north of the Arena. Fans will be subject to towing if they park on job sites or driving lanes on streets or in unfinished areas.
To beat game day traffic and parking challenges, the City recommends visiting lincoln.ne.gov for street construction information, arriving early, celebrating downtown after games and using these City services:
- Travel to and from games on StarTran's Big Red Express (startran.lincoln.ne.gov).
- Reserve pre-paid event parking at City garages (parkandgo.org).
- Purchase a $9 tag for all-day, on-street parking in metered stalls from any City parking employee wearing a Park & Go shirt at City-operated parking facilities.
Meters are enforced Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and the following fine system is in effect:
- If the ticket is paid online within seven days from when it is written, the fine is $9.
- If the ticket is paid in person or through the mail within seven days, the fine is $10.
- If the ticket is paid after seven days, the fine is $25 in person or by mail or $24 online.
Vehicles towed by order of the Police or a Parking Control Officer are subject to a $50 towing fine in addition to the $49.53 required to get a vehicle out of the impoundment lot. The towing fine does not apply to cars towed from private lots.
On football game days, Interstate 80 exits at I-180/Downtown and 27th Street can be very congested, so visitors are encouraged to use other routes into Lincoln:
- From the east, take the Hwy. 6/Cornhusker Hwy. exit (409). Turn south at State Fair Park Drive and west on Salt Creek Roadway to reach Memorial Stadium, the Champion's Club and parking facilities east of the stadium and in the Haymarket.
- From the west, use exit I-80 at Homestead Expressway/Hwy. 77 South, then go east on Rosa Parks Way.
- Those using I-80 who plan to park in the Haymarket Park lots will experience less congestion if they enter Lincoln using the airport exit (399).
Other traffic reminders:
- After games, 10th Street is one-way northbound from Military Avenue to Sun Valley Boulevard.
- Stadium Drive west of the stadium will be closed to all vehicular traffic. Passenger drop-off and pick-up will not be allowed in front of the stadium before or after the game. Fans can be dropped off and picked up at 10th and Charleston streets and 12th and "R" streets.
- Only StarTran buses and those using UNL lots 12, 22 and 23 or handicapped parking will be allowed west of 16th Street on Vine.
- Charter buses will park on "W" Street between 14th and 16th streets.
- The taxi stand is at 14th and Vine streets.
- Downtown bike lanes are on 14th Street from "L" to "R" streets and on 11th Street from "Q" to "K" streets.
Other general reminders:
- Alcohol is prohibited on City streets, parking lots, garages and sidewalks including the trail between Haymarket Park and 8th Street.
- The sale of tickets, souvenirs or other items is not allowed on City streets or sidewalks. Officers will issue citations for violations that inhibit the use of the street or sidewalk.
- Lock your vehicle and put valuable items out of sight to prevent theft.
- Backpacks and umbrellas are not allowed in Memorial Stadium.
BIG RED EXPRESS
In addition to its regular routes, StarTran will provide its Big Red Express service on Husker game days starting two hours before kickoff from six locations:
- The City Municipal Service Center (I-80 airport exit #399), N.W. 12th and West Bond streets (take first right north of McDonald's)
- Southeast Community College, 88th and "O" streets, south parking lot
- Holmes Lake, 70th Street and Normal, north end of lake
- Gateway Mall, 61st and "O" streets, north of Penney's
- SouthPointe Pavilions, 27th and Pine Lake Road, south of Von Maur
- North Star High School (I-80 airport exit #403), 5801 N. 33rd St. (six blocks east of 27th Street and Folkways Blvd.)
Buses will drop off on and depart from "R" Street between 12th to 14th streets. The cost is $5 each way, and passengers will need exact change. Electronic signs will help direct fans to the Big Red Express locations. Big Red Express season tickets, good for round-trip travel for all home games, are available for $60, a $20 savings, at StarTran, 710 "J" Street; the SouthPointe Pavilions office; or at the lots on game day. For more information, call 402-476-1234 or visit startran.lincoln.ne.gov.
The City recommends reserving reduced-price, pre-paid, event parking through the City Web site, lincoln.ne.gov, and through parkandgo.org. Football parking locations and fees are:
- City-County, 10th and "K" streets - $10 on site and online
- South City-County, 701 S. 10th St. and West City-County, 802 "J" St. - $10 on site and online
- Carriage Park, 1120 "L" St. and Cornhusker Square, 1220 "L" St., and Center Park, 1100 "N" St. - $18 on site, $13 online
- Haymarket, 9th and "Q" streets; Lincoln Station South, 7th and "P" streets; Market Place, 10th and "Q" streets; Que Place, 1111 "Q" St.; Red 1, 555 "R" St.; University Square, 101 N. 14th St.; Larson Building, 1317 "Q" streets; West Depot Lot, 676 "O" St. - $20 on site, $16 online
- Sun Valley and Charleston St. Lot (near Oak Lake Park) vehicle parking - $10 on site and $7 online; RV parking - $50 on site and $46 online
Grills are not allowed in City garages. Additional parking is available at the 12th and "Y" lot and the 14th and New Hampshire lot for $10 per vehicle and $20 per RV (game-day purchase only). Grills are allowed at these locations and at the Sun Valley and Charleston lot. RV parking may be purchased online. Fans planning to stay Friday night on City property must purchase their parking online and display the permit in their RV overnight. RV parking is not allowed at the Haymarket Park baseball/softball complex.
The new festival space parking north of the Arena is $65 for vehicles and $150 for RVs and includes a food package. Access to these spaces is through Haymarket Park, and fans can walk to Memorial Stadium over the Bereuter Pedestrian Bridge south of centerfield at Haymarket Park. For more information on the festival space, contact Brooke Bartek, firstname.lastname@example.org.
A number of private lots are available. Rates vary, and some offer season passes. Vehicles blocking drives, parked too close to the intersection, parked on public right of way or interfering with vehicle or pedestrian traffic will be towed.
UNL parking lots will be available for use six hours prior to kick off. Game-day parking information and maps are available at http://parking.unl.edu/football-game-day. Parking also is available at the following University areas for $15:
- 17th and "R" garage
- 19th and Vine Street garage
- 1150 N. 14th St. (Harper Schramm Smith Food Service)
- 15th and Vine streets
- 1410 "Q" St.
- 16th and "X" streets
- 1700 "Y" St.
- Anderson Hall, 16th St. between "P" and "Q" streets
- 18th and "R" streets
- Beadle Center, 19th St. north of "S" St.
- 1820 "R" St.
- 900 North 22nd St.
- 22nd and Vine streets
- 23rd and "W" streets
- 14th and Court streets
- 16th and Court streets
- North Antelope Valley Roadway and Military Avenue
Wheelchair accessible parking is available for $15 per vehicle at UNL Lot 5, Stadium Drive and Holdrege. Handicapped parking is available at:
- Mabel Lee Hall (vans only) - $15
- 14th and R streets - $15
- 14th and Avery garage - $15, with free cart shuttle
- 14th and "U" streets, east of Morrill Hall - $15
- 14th St. between Vine and "W" streets, free on-street parking where available
- 17th and "R" garage - $15 with bus service to east and west stadium