Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates Get information about City of Lincoln Services and Operations

InterLinc Home Page
lincoln.ne.gov
City of Lincoln
City of Lincoln
Mayor's Office

2020 Media Releases


Date:
March 11, 2020
Media Contact:
Patricia Lopez, RN, MSN, Interim Health Director, 402-441-8093
Tim Timmons, RN, Communicable Disease Supervisor, 402-441-8056

City Urges Those Who Are Sick or at High Risk to Avoid Concert

The Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department (LLCHD) today urged those who are ill or who are at risk for serious illness not to attend tonight's DaBaby concert at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The at-risk group includes older adults and those with underlying health conditions.

Interim Health Director Pat Lopez explained the considerations that factored into this recommendation and how they contrast with those for today's earlier recommendation on the boys state high school basketball tournament. The tournament will continue in Lincoln this weekend with limited spectators as a measure to prevent the potential spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

Lopez said the decision to not cancel the tournament was made in consultation with other community partners. The decision to limit spectators to immediate family members was made after a student who attended the girls' tournament last week was diagnosed with COVID-19.

Lopez said those attending the tournament would have likely included at-risk individuals with underlying health conditions.

In contrast, she said, the concert is expected to draw a younger audience that is less at risk and, at this time, there is no reason to believe any of the concert attendees have been exposed to the virus. She also said the concert involves about 6,000 participants at one location for several hours, while the tournament would have drawn about 15,000 people to the multi-day, multi-venue event.

Lincoln does not have a confirmed case of COVID-19. While the situation is rapidly evolving, Lopez said LLCHD is not at the point yet where officials are recommending a policy for event cancellation or postponement.

The Northeast Nebraska student who tested positive for coronavirus has underlying medical conditions. He attended two games on Thursday, March 5: the 9 a.m. Hartington/Weeping Water game at Lincoln Southwest High School, 7001 S. 14th, and the 7 p.m. Crofton/BRLD game at North Star High School, 5801 N. 33rd Street. The student arrived in Lincoln March 4 and stayed with relatives. The student is reported to have gone onto the basketball court after the 9 a.m. game to hug family members.

LLCHD officials have contacted the Lincoln relatives with whom the student stayed and are investigating any other contacts the student may have had in the community. The Lincoln relatives currently are self-quarantined and display no symptoms.

For more information, visit health.lincoln.ne.gov.


Mayor's Office
Media Releases