City of Lincoln
2020 Media Releases
- July 15, 2020
- Media Contact:
- Scott Holmes, Health Department, 402-441-8000
- Erika Hill, LTU Communications and Public Affairs, 402-441-7538
Water Safety Procedures Recommended for Facility Reopenings
System flushing should be coordinated with Lincoln Water System
The City reminds hotels and other facilities reopening after being closed for long periods that it is essential to flush water lines to remove dormant water left in the pipes. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) advises that stagnant water can become unsafe to drink or use for personal and commercial purposes. Tips for flushing water lines in buildings are as follows.
Prior to flushing buildings:
- Coordinate flushing maintenance activity with the Lincoln Water System at 402-441-7551.
- Follow worker safety and health regulations and policies.
Steps for flushing buildings:
- Flush the water service line from the main to your building.
- Inspect all plumbing.
- Maintain all water treatment systems, such as filters and water-softeners.
- Flush both the cold and hot water lines.
- Drain and clean all water storage facilities and hot water heaters.
- Notify all building occupants on the status of the water system and the flushing program.
- Limit use of the water until flushing is complete.
- Determine if disinfection or heat treatments are needed.
- Develop a water maintenance program.
For more information on water safety, visit the business resources page of COVID19.lincoln.ne.gov.