Please read this information carefully.
PDF Version (119 K)
Handi-Van service is available to all eligible individuals in the city limits of Lincoln. Handi-Van transportation is provided by StarTran or a contracted provider for people who are certified as functionally unable to access, board or ride regular public transit for all or some of their trips.
- Handi-Van Reservations
- Handi-Van Cancellations
- 402-441-7110 (24 hrs./day)
- Transportation Coordinator
League of Human Dignity
Complementary paratransit service is provided only within the city limits of Lincoln. People living outside the City of Lincoln who are certified as eligible must travel to within the city limits of Lincoln to use the Handi-Van.
Visitors to Lincoln
Your Handi-Van certification will allow you to ride any complementary paratransit system nationwide for up to 21 calendar days within a 365 day period. If you plan to be in an area for more than 21 days, you must apply to use the local service. Check with the local transit provider to schedule service.
If you are a visitor to Lincoln, you should contact the League of Human Dignity at 402-441-7871 well in advance of travel and provide a copy of your complementary paratransit identification card.
Days and Hours of Service
Handi-Van will take you to any location within the city limits of Lincoln during the hours listed below:
- 5:15 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- 6:30 a.m. to 6:55 p.m.
- No Service
Handi-Van will observe the following holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day
Cost to Ride
The one way cash fare is $3.50 for eligible riders and their guests. If you are certified to travel with a Personal Care Attendant (PCA), they ride for free. Passengers must pay the exact fare when boarding the bus. We cannot provide change, nor do we accept round trip fares. A 20 Ride Pass is available for $66.00, as well as a 31-consecutive day pass for $34.00 or a low income 31-consecutive day pass for $16.00. Children 4 and under are free.
Reservations may be made up to seven days in advance and at least one day in advance of travel by calling Handi-Van at 402-441-7109. Reservation hours are Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. On Sundays and holidays you may leave your trip requests on the answering machine for next business day only. The Handi-Van Dispatcher will call to confirm your trip request.
Every effort will be made to accommodate your requested pick-up time, however, demand at certain times of the day may require that you adjust your desired time by up to one hour before or one hour after the desired pick-up or drop-off time. Reservation space is assigned on a first come, first serve basis.
Same day trip requests will be accepted on a space available basis. Passengers are encouraged to schedule return trips. Unscheduled return trips will be treated as a same day request and you may be denied or have to wait for a return pick-up.
Whenever you make a reservation for a trip, please be prepared to provide the following information:
- First and last name on your identification card.
- Exact address of pick-up location, including an apartment number if appropriate.
- Exact address of your destination and return pick-up location. Without an exact address a trip cannot be scheduled.
- Requested pick-up time or appointment time and desired return time.
- Information about a companion, Personal Care Attendant (PCA), or if a child is traveling with you, and whether any will be using a mobility device. You may always bring one guest in addition to your PCA, but additional guests will be scheduled on a space available basis. Your PCA and traveling companions must board and alight with you.
- Provide any special instructions, such as the need for the bus operator to announce his or her presence if you are visually impaired. Handi-Van is a door-to-door service. The bus operator cannot go through a door or lose sight of the Handi-Van or contracted provider vehicle.
- Riders are encouraged to arrange pick-ups at the most accessible locations possible. Trips to or from Madonna are scheduled at the main entrance. If a rider is dropped off to another location, the return trip pick-up point will still be from the main entrance.
- We do not confirm rides; you need to write it down when you schedule.
An operator or passenger cannot change the location of the pick-up or drop-off on the day of the trip.
Remember that you are traveling on a shared ride service and travel time will be longer than if you are traveling by car.
Handi-Van will attempt to deliver you to your destination in 30 minutes or less. If a passenger chooses to schedule trips too close together and the return trip vehicle arrives before the passenger is at the location, a "No-Show" will be given to the passenger for the return trip and the passenger will need to call for a same day trip (see the "No Show" policy section).
Handi-Van does not provide a child safety seat. If you are traveling with a child you are required to provide and secure your own car seat.
Riders making medical appointments are encouraged to schedule these appointments between 9:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
30 Minute Service Or Pick-up Window
Riders need to be ready to board the bus 15 minutes in advance of their scheduled time and should expect the van to arrive up to 15 minutes after the scheduled time. Please do not call to check on your trip until at least 16 minutes after your pick-up time.
If you are traveling to or from the same destination, minimum of 3 days a week, on the same day of the week, at the same time on a recurring basis, you may request to use subscription service. This allows you to make regular trips without telephoning to reserve your trip. The same rules apply about cancelling a trip and if any information changes you will need to make a new trip reservation.
Subscription service is limited to space available. This is a premium service and Handi-Van reserves the right to accept or deny requests for subscription service.
Out of Town Travel
Upon returning to Lincoln from out of town, please call 402-441-7109 for a pick-up from either the bus terminal or the airport. Pick-ups before 7:00 p.m. will be treated as a regular return trip. If you plan to return after 7:00 p.m., you must make a reservation to schedule a pick-up.
We do not pick up after 6:30 p.m. You must make other arrangements, possibly the extended hours van at 402-477-4111.
Cancelling Your Trip
You can call Handi-Van at 402-441-7110 24 hours a day to cancel your trip. Trips must be cancelled at least 30 minutes in advance of your pick-up time.
"No Show" Policy
When the van arrives, it will wait 5 minutes for you to board the vehicle. If you are not ready, you may be declared a "No Show" by the StarTran dispatcher. Trips cancelled with less than 30 minutes notice will be considered a "No Show." "No Shows" may result in your being required to confirm your reservation 30 minutes prior to pick-up.
Service Suspension Policy
StarTran may refuse service to ADA eligible individuals who engage in violent, seriously disruptive, or illegal conduct.
Pursuant to the U.S. Department of Transportation regulations implementing ADA complementary paratransit requirements (USC 49 Part 37 Subpart F, Section 37.125), certified customers have the right to appeal suspension of service for any reason.
If you disagree with a suspension, contact the League of Human Dignity, Inc. at 402-441-7871.
Rules for Your & Others' Safety
Following the safety regulations listed below will ensure your safety and the safety of others.
- Drivers are not required to pull any wheelchair up more than one step.
- All wheelchairs and scooters should face outward when using the lift. This will prevent the chair or scooter from tipping or falling off the lift. Passengers are expected to follow the instructions of the driver when boarding the bus.
- The definition of "common wheelchair" has been removed from the ADA. A wheelchair now means a mobility aid belonging to any class of three- or more wheeled devices, usable indoors, designed or modified for and used by individuals with mobility impairments, whether operated manually or powered.
- Handi-Van does not provide a child safety seat. If you are traveling with a child you are required to provide and secure your own car seat.
- Electric batteries and oxygen tanks must be secured during the ride.
- All mobility devices must be secured in the Handi-Van using the current securement system. Refusal to allow your mobility device to be secured could result in the denial of your scheduled trip. Safety belts must be worn at all times when riding the Handi-Van. Passengers are not to release any safety or wheelchair belts. Upon arrival at your destination, the driver will release them and assist you off the van.
- Customers are permitted to bring packages on board the vehicle but they should be limited in size and number that can be stored safely under the seat or on your lap and the lap of your PCA and companions. Packages may not block the aisles. Drivers are not required to assist passengers with packages, clothing, groceries or mobility aids. Passengers who need assistance should plan to take a companion.
- Service animals are permitted on the vehicle. Non-service animals are allowed on the Handi-Van only if in a pet carrier.
- As is the case on fixed route, there is no smoking, eating, drinking or radio playing permitted on the vehicle.
- StarTran snow policy requires that sidewalks, step, driveways and wheelchair ramps must be cleared of ice and snow. If snow and ice develops through the day, riders are encouraged to call the dispatcher to schedule an earlier pick-up. During inclement weather, the determination of any unsafe conditions due to snow or ice will be left to the discretion of the operator. If there is a disagreement with the operator's decision, please call the dispatcher and a supervisor will be sent to your home. The supervisor's decision will be final.
If you need this information in an alternate format please call 402-441-7109.
For a lost identification card call 402-441-7871.