Earthwork and construction activity disturbs soil and creates blowing dust and sediment. Runoff from construction site activity often flows into streets, gutters, inlets, then through drainage ways into area waterways.
If a site is poorly managed, sediment and waste runoff from construction sites can be deposited on adjacent property, drainage ways, and stormwater holding basins. In many cases it is extremely expensive to remove these sediment deposits. Experience has shown that it is much more cost effective to install and maintain adequate erosion and sediment control measures that it is to remove sediment from off site areas. Erosion and sediment control is also required by City ordinances.
Prior to land disturbance of sites one (1) acre or greater in size, a Notice of Intent (NOI) and Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) for erosion and sediment control must be submitted to the Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality at the address on the form, with a copy to the City of Lincoln, Watershed Division, 555 S. 10th Street, Suite 203, Lincoln NE 68508. Land disturbance of sites less than one (1) acre which are part of a larger common plan of development or sale must also be addressed in an Individual Lot NOI and SWPPP.
For an extensive listing of the requirements for erosion and sediment control, please see Construction Activity Erosion and Sediment Control Requirements.
- Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance
- Chapter 28.01 (44 K)
- Best Management Practices Handbook (2.4 M)
- Don't Lose Ground Brochure
- Neighborhood Greenspace Brochure & Handbook
- It Doesn't Take a Flood to Move a Lot of Mud
- Construction Activity Erosion and Sediment Control Requirements
- Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance 2007 Update
- Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance 2012 Update (1.13 M)
- EPA Links and Information
- EPA 9/28/05 Presentation on Erosion and Sediment Control (1.81 M)
- Sample - EPA Construction Site Inspection Report (32 K)
- Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans for Construction Activities
- Feb 26th Builder/Developer Sediment and Erosion Control Seminar
- Construction Site Compliance in 2015 (3.68 M)
- Large Site Compliance (3.05 M)
- Individual Lot Construction Compliance (11.2 M)
- NDEQ Permit NER110000 (Requirements for Discharges from Construction Sites) (145 M)
- NOI/SWPPP for Development Sites One Acre or Greater
- NOI/SWPPP for Individual Lots